Monday, August 8, 2011

WEEKEND OF CONCERTS



“It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools”
Ecclesiastes 7:5

Friday we (Mark, Angela and I) preached at a ‘Devo’ concert at the Grove on Anaheim, the picture below is the band wearing their trademark energy domes covering, known for their song “whip it” which I pointed out that Jesus whipped it…..he whipped it good in the temple
.





At this venue those that were going inside were standing in line waiting for the doors to open so we had a body of people just standing. I raised my banner and started off saying “is there a tupperware party going on or a DEVO concert tonight?” that statement started the crowd to respond and instantly it was question and answered time with the DEVO followers. Most claimed to believe in God/god asked; “God is love not hellfire….I believe in Jesus……why can’t I masturbate……what’s wrong with DEVO…..and why can’t I smoke pot?”

“And the same time there arose no small stir about that way”
Acts 19:23

We all tag teamed and preached to the plastic cone cult as they tried to defend sin and their music. The Lord had caused such a stir out there that the manager for Devo came out and wanted to talk as the band members just wanted to know who was out there and during the conversation I asked for 15 minutes on the stage in the concert. And this woman said she will work on it, she wanted contact info and later a few more people linked to the Devo band talked with me and said they are trying to get me inside to preach for a few minutes. I told them that we were leaving in about 20 minutes and they said they would be back. The lines for the concert were now gone and cone heads were just trickling in as we preached to them. Then comes the cameras and sound equipment from the band’s own production as they filmed us preaching with our banners raised and did a long interview with me as I later singed a release for footage.
I sign several a year preaching at events and where these clips show up, who knows.







At the end of the night Jesus was knocking at the doors of the DEVO concert wanting in and all knew it including the band and this concert hall in next to Angel stadium where the Los Angeles Angels play ball. Well, there was a game that night and we were able to preach to those walking towards the stadium as there was a ball game that night too.






HERE IS A YOUTUBE CLIP FROM THE CONCERT WHERE THE BAND MENTIONED US
DEVO's Gerald V. Casale talks about Street Preachers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBt26nK6o0U






ARTICLE FROM THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER:
Weirdness abounds at Devo’s Grove show
“….Devo is known for engaging in bizarre antics. But the events happening outside City National Grove of Anaheim before doors even opened for Friday’s show nearly surpassed the veteran new wave band’s own oddness scale. Fans who lined up early had to endure three religious zealots, holding large signs that read “Repent!” and “Hell Awaits You.” A woman loudly proselytized and yelled inane things like “If you sing ‘Whip It,’ God will whip you,” while her male cohort chimed in with “Devo doesn’t care about your soul, they just want your money…….”
http://soundcheck.ocregister.com/2011/08/06/weirdness-abounds-at-devos-grove-show/57621/






Saturday night we went to Angel stadium and preached to those leaving the Angel baseball game and because the home team lost, there were not very angelic. We had much liberty at this stadium as we stood right outside the main entrance wit banners raised. Now after the game there was a one concert with a rapper named Ludacris who performed for an hour concert and after the concert we preached to the baggy clothes/cap sideways/ape gestured/wantabe tough guy ilk that followed this type of music.



WHICH ONE IS LUDACRIS?

They were exhorted on the lyrics and the ungodly singer and many argued trying to defend that culture, one young girl told me (while cussing) that she can speak in tongues and that she could sin all she wants as long as she can speak in tongues, as that was proof she was saved. Many were religious who waited for the concert as we talked with Mormons, Catholics and those that claimed to be Christians, even the homo rappers came by to argue with us. We were called legalistic and Pharisees as the religious struggled to justify themselves in the parking lot till almost 11PM.

On a good note from what appeared to be confusion all around us after the concert exited, the Lord stirred up good conversations, tracts were taken and 1 Bible given out, not to mention Robert Schuller Jr. walked by the banners and was offered a tract by Angela. The now bankrupt ‘Crystal Cathedral’ is just down the street from Angel stadium, as he seemed to be with his family and for the record they did not attend the Ludacris concert, they left after the game.







I would like to introduce Brother Mitch a former Marine, serving 23 years as a missionary in the Philippines, including 16 countries and witnessing in all 50 States and proclaims the Word of God on streets. This is his website and testimony http://www.gomitch2.com





The Few, The Proud, The Marines


I had never thought of visiting military recruiters. Nevertheless, at 19 years of age in December 1983, I went to see what they had to offer. America has various branches of military service: the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. They all had their offices in the same building just across the parking lot from McDonald’s. I would visit one recruiter each week after finishing up my job at the restaurant. I would bike over to the building and park my bike on the side of the building and walk in.

TOO FAT – TOO EASY

The first recruiter I met was from the Air Force. He was overweight with a big stomach. He bragged about how I would love the Air Force with their nicest living facilities, great food, housing, education program and less physical demands compared to the other branches.


He said some of the other branches would have to run three-mile tests and sometimes farther, but the Air Force would only have a one-and-a-half-mile run once a year and that was all! Little did he realize he was repelling me rather than recruiting me. I was closing the option of the Air Force in my heart at nearly every word he said! My goodness, I was looking for a challenge not a cakewalk!

SQUIDS

The next day, I visited the Navy recruiter-- a 19-year-old who just finished his basic training. The main “Chief” was not in. So he had to be the one to field my questions of interest. He started pointing to a map of the world on his desk and began to tell me that if I join the Navy, I will travel all around the world and will get to see the many ports of the nations. I will have an opportunity to serve on various types of ships including huge aircraft carriers and be trained in some type of electronics skill at the same time. Unfortunately, I was not that interested in tour-like-traveling as it was explained. I was not even that attracted to ships or the ocean, but I was looking for a different kind of challenge. I politely excused myself from the Navy office and kept looking elsewhere.

NO ARMY ZONE

The day I visited the Army, there were about eight recruiters walking back and forth across the office. As I sat there, no one seemed to want to serve me. I waited and waited as many of them scurried across the room. What was their business? Was it not to do everything possible to make sure I would join the Army? What could be more important in that office at that time than my future? Was it processing all the applicants they had? I heard there were over two million in the Army and they only required a two-year commitment rather than the standard four? That was it. Before anyone even approached me, I had already made some judgments about what I thought of the Army. So I thought, “If they're not that excited about recruiting me, I'll just go elsewhere.” I left shortly after some few words with one of the recruiters. On my last day of searching, although my Army experience was not a good one, I was having mercy on them and was actually considering them above the Navy or Air Force. But upon visiting the Marine Corps office, my life was never the same again.

JAR HEADS

It all began on the day I visited them. It was rainy and wet outside. I had biked to the recruiter’s office with my biking gear, helmet, and leg warmers that were popular in the early80's for outdoor sports during a bit of cold weather. I even had a mud streak up the backside of my shirt from lacking a fender on my bike! A real sight to see! As I sat there in the Marine Corps office, you should have seen me as the perfect sight of a “civilian.” I was in exact contrast to the office I was sitting in. Their office was immaculate! Everything was in perfect order and very tidy and polished. It was like a president's office!

POLISHED BRASS

As I was waiting there, they were very kind and professional. They were definitely not busy with anything nor any other “potential recruits” for the whole time that I was there. Their uniforms were all pressed and creased from top to bottom. It seemed like any metal in the room was either brass or polished brass. There was so much professionalism and pride in the room. I was impressed.

SO YOU WANT TO BE A MARINE?

While waiting for their captain to arrive and review their books and give them some kind of administrative inspection, they began to ask me about some of my interests and values and gave me a short personality profile test. The test indicated that travel, education plans, retirement benefits, housing facilities, food and medical services were not so important to me. But words like honor, duty, loyalty, pride and integrity were high on my list.

When the captain arrived, he took attention to me right away sitting there next to the desk. After scanning over my test results, he put his one leg up on the desk while keeping the other one on the floor. Leaning over towards me he said, "So, I hear you want to be a Marine?" I said, quite nervously, "Well, maybe, I'm not sure." "Whom have you visited already?" he asked. I replied, "I had been to all the other recruiters already but I cannot decide."





DIRECT HOTLINE TO PRESIDENT

He continued, "Well, Mitch, we are not like the others. Most of the other branches have hundreds of thousands of members. We are the smallest branch. There are only about 210,000 Marines in the world. They all have eight weeks of basic training, but we have 12-weeks. Do you know why that is?…(long pause)…Because we are the best!" With much pride he began to brag about how when there is a problem anywhere in the world, the Marines have a hotline direct to the president's office.

BULLET CATCHER
He told me, “We are the first to go to war. We are the smallest branch, but with the highest training caliber. We run three-mile tests regularly. You'll run five-miles with your boots on and an M-16 rifle in your hands. You'll do 20 or more pull-ups and do 120 sit-ups in two minutes when we are fished with you. And as I look at you, I can tell you'll make a fine Marine!" That was it! He got me! I was so excited and motivated after his speech about the Marines. I took another test and watched some of their videos, read all their brochures and signed up a few days later! I was to leave for boot camp in three months in March of 1984. With all excitement I even recruited my best friend, Brad M., an assistant manager of McDonald’s to join too. Eventually so convinced of his decision, he wanted to leave 30 days ahead of me.

HANG UP THE SHOVEL

I still wanted to wait a few months just to get into shape and prepare my personal life, because I knew that joining the military at once would mean not coming back to South Dakota again. I remember once while shoveling the snow off the driveway in front of our house, I said to my mom, "This will be the last time I will ever have to shovel snow again." It was almost becoming true…Ten days before my 20th birthday, on March 5th, 1984, the Marines sent me off to Marine Corps Training Depot in San Diego, California. After the following 12 weeks my life would be changed again forever!

Get Right With God


With all the movies you have probably seen about the U.S. Marine Corp’s boot camp, and with all the stories you have already heard already about how “hard” it is, I guess the closest movie I have ever seen to depict its reality was an old movie from the 80's entitled An Officer and A Gentleman (with Richard Gere and Debra Winger). Although I highly reject the sexual content and foul language of the movie, the “boot camp” and training scenes were partially realistic. Even though it was in a Navy pilot’s boot camp and not Marines, it was pretty close. I have so many memories of my 12 weeks of boot camp. I could write a whole book from just that portion of my life, but for the sake of space and priorities I will highlight just a few.

SNAP AND POP!

I remember one of the first days when about 80 of us in my platoon were seated on the floor in Indian- style fashion. The assistant and the senior drill instructors came out to introduce themselves to us. It was very dramatic and scary. As we sat there all facing forward, they began to come out of the office one at a time, snapping to attention. They introduced themselves as well as outlined their expectations for us, as we looked ahead over the next 12 weeks of our life together.

SIR, YES SIR!

The senior drill instructor came out with his most dramatic entrance. He said with his booming voice, "Listen up recruits! If there is anyone amongst you that is religious, know that for now on I will be your God. I will tell you when to get up, sit down, brush your teeth, go to the head (bathroom), eat, sleep, everything. You will do NOTHING until I tell you to do so! IS THAT UNDERSTOOD? At the top of our lungs, we shouted back, "SIR, YES SIR!"

CONFIRMED FROM WHAT?

Now this didn't bother me too much-- because I was not religious-- and I didn't consider myself to be religious. I went to a Lutheran Church in my younger years, passed through “Confirmation” classes, attended some youth camps and still remembered our songs. But I had no on-going and on-growing fear of the Lord or desire to remain conscious of His presence, if you know what I mean.

BLASPHEMER

I was a blasphemer. With a foul mouth, speaking dirty jokes, with some immorality in my past, including theft, lying, and some “rock n roll” album collections that would raise the dead if enough volume were used! So I was not really offended by my senior drill instructor's introduction, but I knew some of the guys were. There were some religious types amongst us 80 guys. I don't know how they coped over the next 12 weeks under the leadership of our often perverted, foul-mouthed, drill instructor, but I did just fine. My focus was different and was blinded to spiritual realities, anyhow, during this time.

120 SIT-UPS in 2 MINUTES

I excelled in all the physical activities-- I mean really excelled with all these accomplishments: Usually placing 1st in the three-mile run over nearly 195 other Marines from our Company: Running a three-mile in 16:30 and getting perfect scores for our sit-ups;
Doing 120 sit-ups in two minutes, which meant and average of two sit-ups a second! After 12 weeks of training, I asked if I could go for the Marine Corps Record for pull-ups in my weight group. The record was 53 pull-ups. I did 47. I almost could have made it, but nearly all calluses of my hands were torn off and my skin was raw underneath. It was quite painful and I was tired anyway. So I didn’t make it. But to have a perfect score, you needed to do 20 or more. I did twice as many and now with my physical fitness grades, I graduated from boot camp as a Lance Corporal rather than the normal Private-First Class.

I will never forget the obstacle course and the long hikes up and down the mountains of Southern California. The big Marines with the huge muscles, those that were body builders, had a hard time climbing ropes or humping mountains or jumping over logs or crawling underneath wires quickly, while I just flew though those things with great endurance and shoulder strength. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone into the infantry rather than working on airplanes. I would have enjoyed it more, I think, and would have learned more about leadership.





JAMMING THE AIRWAVES

Avionics means aviation (airplane) electronics. I was being trained to work on cockpit instruments like radars, radios, antenna, and carrier landing systems on the EA6-B Prowler. This was a plane in the Navy and Marines that flies over the enemy and “jams” all their radar systems and other equipment that has some form of transmission. Then another plane called the A6 (which looks the same) can fly over and drop bombs on everyone, without them ever being able to see us coming.

MONSTERS OF INIQUITY

When I got assigned to my first barracks while starting my 10 months of electronics schooling there at Naval Air Station in Millington, I began to have a hard time. I couldn't get along with my new roommates. My schooling was challenging intellectually. I was getting set up for another transition in my life, another turning point. I wanted to be a good Marine but my roommates were not helping my moral. They were already “burned out” from 10 months of intense electronic schooling and were already hoping for the day they could get out of the Marines.

I thought I had a few attitude problems, but these guys were monsters of iniquity! They had tattoo contests, heavy drinking and womanizing. They would party every weekend and I would end up many times cleaning the room alone or being responsible for the room inspections. They were the “seniors” and I was just the “new guy” so it was hard to refute.

AMBUSHING MY ROOMMATES

It was a Friday night. While all my roommates were out, I was in the barracks alone. Getting so angry with them, I piled all the furniture in the middle of the room, got a broomstick, climbed up on top, and turned out the light bulb and waited for the first roommate to return ready for the attack! After waiting for the longest five minutes of my life on top of all that furniture, I examined myself and wondered, "What is happening to me? Why am I doing this?"
I got down off the furniture, put everything back in the right place and went to bed. From that point on, I knew I had to get a handle on myself. I seemed to be losing control of my emotions.

GETTING HUNGRY

I started going to church… or to the Military Chapel. It reminded me of my old Lutheran days. It was a bit boring-- I didn't seem to get anything out of it. God knew I was hungry for change, for spiritual reality.

POSTER ON THE WALL

One day while walking into my barracks, I found a poster on the wall inviting servicemen to church on Sundays. The church bus would come by the base every Sunday to pick up people who would want a ride to church. I thought I'd check it out.

YOU MIGHT BE TOUGH ON THE OUTSIDE…

The pastor, Tom Lancaster, was a former Marine from the Vietnam War era in the 70's. He would always mix old Vietnam War stories with his preaching and would preach like a drill instructor. Tears running down his face while preaching, week-by-week he was beginning to “hit home” with me. I knew I was not right with God. And so on the third week, a tear started rolling down my face at the end of the preaching.

REAL MEN DON’T CRY

The pastor called for everyone who wanted to surrender their lives to Jesus to come forward, but “NO WAY” was I going. I was a Marine! We were taught that Marines don't cry-- be rough and tough; don't show your emotions!





DAMNED!

Just at that moment, a Navy reservist, named Lee Richter, leaned over to me. He asked me the question, "Do you know where you will go if you die today?" I knew I was in big trouble! He then said, "Well, you don't need to go forward. If you want, you can follow me to the room at the back and I'll talk to you there." So I followed him. By the time we got to the room, I was crying like a baby with my nose running to the ground. I knew my time had come. Lee started reading many Bible verses to me from the backside cover of his Gideon’s Bible and asked if he could pray with me. I said, "Yes" and that's where it all began.


WHOLE LOT OF SHAKING GOING ON

I didn't understand theologically what happened to me on that day of June 10th, 1984. But I knew I was forgiven. For the first time in my life, I knew that I knew the decision I had made that day was finally the right one. Back to the barracks, I changed clothes and went for a walk, reflecting on my life and future…I still had roommates I couldn't get away from or along with; I still had 10 months of electronics school to complete and four years of Marine Corps commitment to finish as well! In other words, it wasn't going to be easy. For the first time in my life, however, I had peace. Literally feeling the burden of sin lifted off of my life, I knew I was in the right place. It was amazing!

Hearing God's Voice



Did God tell you to do that?” Vangie asked. I never really thought about it, this concept of actually hearing God's voice. It seemed like every time I would arrive at the YWAM Center to help out, one of the staff, named Vangie, would always challenge and ask me if God told me to do this or that, or such and such. I was always making certain visual aids for sharing the gospel message with people on the streets. When I would show Vangie, she would always ask me if God told me to do that. I would usually reply, "I guess so."

ARE YOU SURE YOU’RE HEARING?
Then she would probe deeper and ask me, "Are you sure you are hearing God's voice? Are you practicing hearing God's voice? What has He been speaking to you lately?" I never really thought about it that much before. I would usually just do whatever I thought would be a good thing or obvious thing to do and now I was being challenged to really hear “God's voice” on the matter.

DARING TO LIVE ON THE EDGE

See, these YWAMers were living by faith. Most had left their jobs or other previous lifestyles in pursuit of following what they believed to be “God's will” for their lives. They couldn't afford to make many wrong decisions because they had really “left much” to become missionaries. I still had a job in the military and a regular paycheck each two weeks, so I wasn't really living “on the edge” like these guys were. The more and more I hang around these YWAMers, the more I began to get a sharper heartbeat for obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ.

STOP DAYDREAMING

We would spend many hours on the streets witnessing for Jesus and helping with Bible studies and joining the prayer meetings at the YWAM Center each week. God was quickly molding my life and giving me a heart for another country, a heart for the world. I was growing more and more in love with the Philippines, in particular, and for YWAM as an organization. While working on the airplanes, I would daydream about all that I would do during my day-off or time for work at the YWAM Center. I remember four specific times when God was speaking to me about finishing my four-year commitment with the Marines and joining the volunteer workers serving with YWAM in the Philippines.





RULE #1: AVOID WALL MAPS!

The first time was when I was sitting and looking at a map of the Philippines on the wall, while some of the YWAMers were downstairs during a worship time. God was beginning to stir my heart about coming back to the Philippines someday. It was simply a still small stirring in my heart and mind about the idea of returning someday

RULE #2: AVOID FOLDING LITERATURE!

Another time I sensed God speaking to me was when I was sitting and folding some literature that we were preparing to pass out on the streets, so as to invite people to come to our Bible study each Friday morning. Folding the papers, I sensed that same nudging I experienced while looking at the map of the Philippines not long before.

RULE #3: AVOID READING BIBLES!

The third time came while I was reading my Bible. I came across a verse in Proverbs 16:9 about how,“A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.” This was a great word of assurance on how God was directing me and how I was on the verge of Him revealing some insights as to what my next steps would be.

RULE #4: AVOID TOURISM BROCHURES!

God spoke to me again for the fourth time concerning my next step after my four years with the Marines. That was in 1987 during my return to Cubi Point, Philippines for another two months of military duty. On my bed one evening at about 10:30 pm, I was reading a YWAM or Tourism brochure about the Philippines. On the back cover, I remember seeing a photo of a Philippine jeepney with about 40 plus passengers all jammed packed in and on the top! I began to reflect on all the times God had been speaking to me about the Philippines and this time seemed to be the culmination.





“IS THAT REALLY YOU, GOD?”

As tears rolled down my face simply from examining this photo, I had to get out of bed and take a walk. Walking though the basketball court near the Marine barracks, I cried unto the Lord asking, "Are you sure Lord? Are you sure this is what you want me to do (referring to leaving the military and joining YWAM in the Philippines)?" Back and forth I paced and walked that basketball court, with tears streaming down my face, asking the Lord, "Are you sure Lord? Are you sure Lord? Are you sure Lord?" After about 30 minutes, I took a seat on the bleachers, looked out onto the court and experienced that same “still small voice” inside. It was the same voice I experienced the day I gave my heart to Jesus in Memphis, Tennessee on June 10th, 1984 three years past. I now knew what I needed to do. It was time to begin preparations, both practical and emotional, to leave the Marines and join YWAM as a missionary.


Pure Gold


When I first got inspired to write this book back in 2003, I knew that one of the chapters I wanted to include was a Reference List or Contact List of all the exciting ministries and people
that I have been influenced by, in one way or another, so the readers can do their own homework and follow up these contacts. Although I do not necessarily agree 100% with their teachings, all of them have influenced my thinking, life, ministry and theology in one way or another. I expect them to do the same for you too.

In case this book gets outdated and I never get a chance to re-print or update it, you will not be lost. You go to any computer that is on-line and do basic Internet “searches” on any of the names and you will be able to locate their current contact info and biographies; and since it is the Internet, expect both the good and bad news concerning them and their ministries. Have fun!





Here they are (in no particular order):

Evangelist George “Bro Jed” Smock: Campus Preacher in the USA. Jed has preached on over 600 campuses in the USA and abroad over the past 33 years. Jed is considered the General of Campus Preachers and a legend on America’s campuses. I have traveled and preached with him through numerous states and in Manila, and I consider him one of my mentors, heroes and friends. He has several books but his No. 1 book entitled, Who Will Rise Up? is mandatory reading for all budding preachers! He has a great book on Romans 6, 7, & 8 also! Website: http://www.brojed.org





Jim Webber: Evangelist, Preacher, Trainer, and Author. Jim has preached all over the USA and abroad for over 35 years! His book (2007) entitled, Blood Power is a must read for every evangelist or witness for Jesus! Jim has helped me a lot since the late 90’s with designing and supplying me with evangelistic signs, placards, and T-Shirts that I have been using for over 15 years. He now lives in Las Vegas, Nevada. Website: http://www.biblejim.com




Arthur Blessitt: Evangelist, Pilgrim, and Author. He has been carrying a 12-foot cross around the world for over 30 years! I have been reading Blessitt’s materials since my conversion in 1984. He has inspired me for many years through his street evangelism and amazing mission trips. Website: http://www.arthurblessitt.com




Last Day’s Ministries founded by Keith and Melody Green. Keith was famous in the 80’s for his literature, music and discipleship articles. He died in a plane crash in 1984 but his music is still available. Keith played a major role in my early discipleship years from 1984-1989 while I was still in the military. The LDM literature was sometimes the only stuff I was reading! Available on-line at: http://www.lastdaysministries.com/




Leonard Ravenhill: Author and Revivalist Preacher-Teacher. Ravenhill became one of the 20th century's greatest authorities on revival. His message is drastic, fearless, and often radical. Appalled by the disparity between the New Testament Church and what passes for the Church today, Ravenhill gives a no-compromise call to the principles of Biblical revival. He participated in discipling Keith Green and taught much in early YWAM days mostly in Texas. He passed away in 1994.

Gordon Olson: Teacher, Author and Theologian. He wrote several important works on subjects pertaining to Revival Theology. Gordon used to teach in YWAM Training Schools in the 80’s (especially in Texas). His theology influence was in much of YWAM’s earlier Discipleship Training Schools (DTS). He passed away in 1989. YWAM’s current School of the Bible (SOTB) in Lindale, Texas, Madison, Wisconsin and Nicaragua are still remnant movements from those earlier days. Dean Harvey, co-founder of the School of the Bible has also been a teacher in my School of Evangelism in Manila. Larry Allen (Texas) is the SOTB reference point now.

Winkey Pratney: Author and Teacher. His Nature and Character of God book is priceless. Every YWAMer (especially) needs to review this to know much of YWAM’s original doctrinal roots. His teaching on the Nature of Sin I have promoted and preached for years! Winkey’s old book, Youth Aflame was used in early YWAM Schools in the 80’s and early 90’s. He has been one of my favorite teachers and theological heroes since 1984. Website: http://www.winkeypratney.com




Daniel Corner: Author. He has a great book entitled, The Believer’s Conditional Security; nearly 800 pages of defense against the popular “Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS)” Calvinistic doctrine.

Ralph Winter: Missiologist and Founder of the U.S. Center for World Mission in Pasadena, California which has many materials, books, and 30-day course entitled, Perspectives on the World Christian Movement.

William Carey Library: Located on the campus of the U.S. Center for World Mission in Pasadena, California. They house a massive bookstore for hundreds of mission titles and resources including maps and children’s resources. All about Missions only.

Bill and Amy Stearns: Authors and Missions Mobilizers. They have many resources for mission mobilizers.

Cliffe Knechtle: Open Air Preacher and Author. I have used his 1986 book entitled, Give Me An Answer, (published by Intervarsity Press) since the 80’s as a reference for answering common questions from sinners and hecklers.

Gregory Boyd: Theologian, Pastor, Author and Teacher. His book entitled, God of the Possible has been one of the best books I have read and studied over the past few years concerning the “open view” of God.

Charles Finney: Theologian, Evangelist, Revivalist and Author. I have read his many books and materials since 1984. Finney’s Systematic Theology by Bethany House Publishers is priceless-- worth Gold in itself!

Azusa Street. Book by Frank Bartleman was one of the first books I read as a new believer in the 80’s. It is about the history of the Pentecostal movement. A must read for anyone that considers himself a Pentecostal.

The Master Plan of Evangelism. Book by Robert Coleman. This book “fired me up” forever on the principles of discipling others. It was used as a guidebook by my discipler, Craig “Brother Stephen” White, as a young believer between 1984-1988.


Evangelist Craig Stephen White. Many know him as “Brother Stephen.” Much of my evangelistic training came from Stephen’s input in my life. He discipled many others, including myself, for over two-and-one-half years while we were stationed in the military together in North Carolina between 1984-88. He was in the Navy while I was in the Marines. He introduced me to Jed and Cindy Smock and increased my passion for evangelism, open-air preaching, and historical greats like: General William Booth (Salvation Army), John Wesley (Methodist Founder), Charles Finney (Revivalist), George Whitefield (Evangelist who founded University of Pennsylvania) and Keith Green (musician, preacher, and author). Stephen currently lives in Pennsylvania.

John Maxwell. Author on Business-Leadership. I use some of his stuff for my own personal growth and in motivating others.

Caleb Project: A Mission Mobilizers Ministry in Littleton, Colorado, USA. They got my wife and I started in learning to live more strategic in relation to God’s heart for all nations back in early 90’s.

Perspectives on the World Christian Movement. Book edited by Ralph Winter and Steven Hawthorne. Nearly everything you need to know about missions: Biblical, Cross-Cultural, Strategic, and Historical Perspectives on Missions. A Missions Reader. A “must have” for every serious missionary; 782 pages long; Third Edition.

Loren Cunningham: Founder of Youth With A Mission (YWAM). He has many books and resources. I have served in YWAM for nearly 22 years under his apostleship (leadership). YWAM now (2011) has over 19,000 volunteer staff scattered on over 1300 Operating Locations in every nation. Website: www.ywam.org and www.uofn.edu




Joy Dawson: Teacher, YWAM Leader and Author. Her teaching on The Fear of the Lord is one of the best I have heard!

Rush Limbaugh: Conservative Radio Host in the USA. Everything I need to know about what I should know about proper perspectives in politics, I get from him. He is not a born-again Christian but his political wisdom is contagious! He has a huge following! He keeps me current every time I need political upgrading. http://www.rushlimbaugh.com




Jim Gilles: Campus Preacher in the USA. Great website and many great teachings. He has great wisdom from many years of handling crowds, and hecklers. Jim has opened up many campuses legally that beforehand were illegally not allowing Christian preachers to preach on the property.

Biblebelievers.com Internet website. They have many resources/teachings for the evangelist, and open-air preacher. Their website will keep you busy for a lifetime! Mostly Baptist-type stuff.

Bannersunfurled.org is a ministry for street preachers and street evangelists. I got some of my BIG BANNERS from these guys - Mostly a Baptist environment.

Ruben Israel: Confrontational Evangelist, Leader and Equipper for other Evangelists in the USA mostly targeting large events such as homosexual parades, rock concerts etc. He has radical, confrontational-style ministry tools, resources and teachings. We have preached together in Missouri and Ohio before and I get advice from him when I am traveling in the USA preaching. His website: www.officialstreetpreachers.com/




Nogreaterjoy.org This ministry is for Christian families and parents. Their books were priceless during my early years of raising our small kids. They have some of the BEST books on training and children discipline I know of!

American Family Association at www.afa.net
has been a ministry devoted to the preservation of traditional family values through its monthly magazine, radio network, and other institutions. I have utilized their services for years in knowing the issues in the USA, how to vote, who to boycott, etc.




Dean Sherman: YWAM’s former Provost of the College of Christian Ministries at YWAM’s University of the Nations (U of N), Teacher, and Author. His one book, in particular, Sex, Love and Dating with available DVD set has been the backbone to my teaching and philosophy on dating, courtship and marriage since becoming a Christian in 1984. His material absolutely changed my life and I have been teaching it ever since! His material is used in nearly every YWAM Training Facility (well over 350) and Operating Location (over 1300) in the world. True Gold! Go to: www.ywam.org



and look around for YWAM Store.

Alliance Defense Fund (ADF): A legal alliance defending the right to hear and speak the truth. This organization located in Scottsdale, Arizona has networks of lawyers all over the USA that can be availed of if you or any other preacher or Christian is running into trouble with Free Speech or Freedom of Religion issues or even if wrongly arrested. Website: www.alliancedefensefund.org




Youth With A Mission Antipolo Training Center (near Metro-Manila), Philippines, is the training center that I currently work out from. If you are 17 years or older, you are qualified to consider attending our 24-week long Discipleship Training School (DTS) held two to three times a year. Our classes are in English consisting of 12-weeks of lecture, work duties, small group, community living, evangelism, character and teamwork development, followed by 12-weeks of evangelistic outreach in the Philippines or Indochina (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar).


Check our website for current tuition fees.
http://www.ywamconnect.com/sites/antipolo





Mitch Metzger
YWAM Philippines

http://www.gomitch2.com

http://www.ywam-soe.com

http://no2sin.com






http://www.officialstreetpreachers.com/